Turf by Design Professional Installation (Front and Backyard)
Turf by Design is your one-stop shop for all your Synthetic Grass and and installation accessory needs!
Planning & Layout Tips:
It is always helpful to have a detailed drawing of the installation area with the turf laid out in the sizes and direction already planned. When planning your design keep in mind that the turf should always be laid out the same direction to avoid a mismatched appearance and noticeable seams (This does not apply to once piece installations). Turf by Design synthetic grass comes in 15’ wide rolls, so base your layout on a 15’ scale to avoid unnecessary seams.
Professional Installation Guide:
These instructions have been written to limit the amount of specialist equipment you would have to hire to complete the job on a DIY level. All Turf by Design installation teams use professional installation equipment (including. mechanical brushes, heavy duty rollers, and excavation equipment) to ensure the installation is to the very highest standard.
- First clear away any existing sod, mulch, or vegetation in the area which the synthetic grass is to be installed. A sod cutter may be necessary for this step if the sod is heavily rooted.
- Smooth and compact the existing ground as this step will make it a little easier when you apply your base material. Compact if necessary.
- Try to maintain a 2% grade to allow for proper drainage.
- Install curbing or edging (if necessary).
- Cap off existing sprinkler lines (if necessary)
- Install 3/8 minus - decomposed granite (DG) 1 ton will cover approximately 100 sf. @ 2.5'' deep. With a large landscape rake smooth out the area. Be sure to take your time with this step as the ground preparation is a very important part of the process.
- Lightly mist the area with water to ensure proper compaction. With a large plate compactor or a heavy roller go over the area several times till the ground is smooth and compact. If at this point you still have an uneven surface it is a good idea to loosen it up with a rake and fine tune the base material until it is totally smooth. Compact again if necessary. 80-90% compaction is recommended.
- Install synthetic grass. If you have more than one roll or the area is wider than 15' then your artificial grass needs to be seemed together. Make sure that you unroll all the turf going the same direction.
- Finish seams (if applicable). See STA 1000 Adhesive (PDF) installation instructions below.
- Cut the artificial grass with a standard carpet knife is the simplest most effective way to cut out your design. Cut from the bottom side as close to the edge as possible.
- Secure the perimeter with 7-8'' galvanized nails every 6''-8'' (or as needed) around the entire area. Use a carpet kicker to stretch the turf as close as possible to the boarder as possible (if necessary).
- Using a drop spreader or a broadcast spreader evenly distribute the infill onto the grass (High Quality 16/30 mesh sand or ZeoFill).
- With a stiff bristle broom or a gas powered rotary broom agitate the turf fibers against the grain, this will help work in the infill and make your turf stand up just like a perfectly manicured lawn!
- Clean up the area.
Each turf installation is unique, so the process may vary slightly. Please feel free to ask our Synthetic Grass Professionals at Turf by Design for a more detailed installation guide with your purchase. If you have questions during the installation we are always here to help!